THIS MORNING, 9.30am
Liturgist – David McNabb Presider – Glynn Preacher – Peter Matheson
Duty Elder – David McNabb
Serving elders – Allan Davidson, Geoff Olliff, Sue Olliff, Dorothy McCarrison, Bev Mosley, Trevor Mosley
Readers – Judy Nicholson, Annette Hood Intercessions – Allan Davidson
Organist – Grant Hutchinson Flowers – Anne Baird
Hospitality – Ken & Bridget Hulls, Penelope Stevenson, Muriel Carruthers,
Roger Williams, Gill Maxwell, Rachel Goffin
THIS WEEK WE PRAY FOR
World Council of Churches’ Calendar – Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico
Within the Nation – EMERGENCY SERVICES. Police; Ambulance; Fire Services; Search and Rescue; Civil Defence; rescue helicopter services; surf life-savers; coast guard
Within St Luke’s – Annette Woodroffe; Colin & Olinda Woodroffe; Ling Yang, Ding Ding; Betty Xu
NOTICES FOR SUNDAY 15th OCTOBER 2017
1. ST LUKE’S DAY. Today we welcome Peter Matheson as our guest preacher. The choir will be singing the Hamilton Mass. The theme of the service will be the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. Peter taught church history at Edinburgh and Otago Universities and is Principal Emeritus of the Unity Church Theological College in Melbourne. He has researched and written extensively about the Reformation. Peter is a peace activist, a poet, and a retired Presbyterian minister.
2. ST LUKE’S DAY LUNCH 11.30am. After our service this morning, we will continue our celebration of St Luke’s Day with a BBQ lunch. Can those with surnames A-O please bring salads to share, those with surnames P-V please bring a sweet treat for coffee, and those with surnames W-Z please bring bread/rolls/pull-aparts.
3. THE PARISH CONTACT DIRECTORY is available on the screen bench today. More copies can be printed.
4. TODAY AT 5pm, ILLUMINA, Music of Light. A concert in aid of the organ restoration fund featuring stunning choral music by Harris, Holst, Rutter, Tallis, Whitacre and others. $20 waged, $15 unwaged, children free. Door sales available. Enquiries to email@example.com
5. PEWS/CHAIRS. Last Sunday at our AGM, a motion was brought by the Parish Council (after 3 consultative meetings with parishioners) asking for approval in principle for the removal of some pews and, after further approval by a Special GM, replacing those pews with chairs. The Parish Council had decided that for the motion to pass it would need a 2/3's majority. The motion did not achieve that 2/3's in favour, and was declared lost.
6. FIRST N THIRD MORNING TEA, Tuesday 17th October, 10.30am. All welcome.
7. PETER MATHESON. This Tuesday, 17th October at 7.30pm, in conjunction with St Helier’s Presbyterian, we will be hosting a lecture by Peter Matheson titled "How do we speak about God? Authenticity for Martin Luther and for us." Entry by donation.
8. TONIGHT, SEA OF FAITH, from 7pm. Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks is proposing and advocating solutions to mounting religious intolerance. How we can face the future without fear, together? Gold coin donation for visitors. Listen to an electrifying talk by the Rabbi in a video and then follow his talk with discussion.
9. SEA OF FAITH CONFERENCE. Registrations still open 6 - 8th November at the Silverstream Conference Centre, Lower Hutt. Keynote speakers Sir Lloyd Geering, Hal Taussig, Rachael Kohn and Sue Bradford. Registration details available at www.sof.org.nz
10. GUEST PREACHER. Our preacher and supply minister for Sunday 22nd October will be the Revd Ian Kilgour. The title of his sermon is ‘Wonder World or Waste World! (the relationship between social and eco-justice). Ian is an honorary associate minister at St Helier’s Presbyterian. For many years, Ian was in charge of the Social Policy Unit for the Salvation Army. He writes: “I’m looking forward to our visit to St Luke’s given the Church featured so much in my family’s life. My parents married and siblings were baptised there. I like the sense of symmetry and completion it gives. Having started at St Luke’s and now all these years on, nearing the end of my preaching life, speaking there!” Ian will be accompanied by his wife, Shirley.
11. HAL TAUSSIG. On 2nd November 7.30pm, Hal Taussig, a professor for many years at Union Theological Seminary in New York, will be with us. His topic is " The First, Second, and 21st Centuries: More Spirit, Less Rules.”
12. CONSULTATION ON MISSION AND MINISTRY. In November we will be offering three opportunities for parishioners to come together to share views about what we could do/offer in future, what has been good in the past, and what we could do better. This will significantly help Parish Council as we launch into 2018. We are calling this ‘Consultation on Mission and Ministry’. In order that we hear from as many people as possible, there will be two after church discussions [11 am on November 4th and 19th], and one mid-week discussion [7.30pm November 14th]. As with our recent consultation on pews/chairs, the intention is that everyone has the opportunity to attend one of these discussions.
13. COMPARATIVE WORLD RELIGIONS. Term 4 classes with Dr Todd Nachowitz (Western traditions: Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Bahá’í, Atheism/Agnosticism) run for 7 weeks on Monday nights (7-9pm) from 30 Oct through 11 Dec, at the Religious Diversity Centre office and classroom, University of Otago House, 385 Queen Street, Auckland CBD. Info and registration at www.rdc.org.nz/classes/.
14. SINGFEST AUCKLAND Saturday 4th November. St Luke’s singers welcome. Sing Messiah St Cuthbert's College, Clouston Hall. Register at www.nzcf.org.nz.
VISITORS: If you would like to know about the Community of Saint Luke, including membership, or simply to join the mailing list, please fill out the blue “Welcome to St Luke’s” form (in pews) and put in the box on the screen bench
SUNDAY 22nd OCTOBER 2017
9.30am – Community Worship
Liturgist – TBC Preacher – Ian Kilgour Duty Elder – Barbara Smith
Readers – Bruce Miller, Anne Baird Intercessions – Neil Wright
Organist – Stephen Vincent
130 Remuera Road, Remuera, Auckland 1050
Community Centre & Church Office: Phone 520 0740
Minister: GLYNN CARDY 021 545 969; firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Director: Colin Rose 520 0199 021 987 220; email@example.com
Administrator: PAMELA DAY 520 0740; firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Council Convener: DAVID McNABB; email@example.com
Parish Clerk: KEN HULLS firstname.lastname@example.org
Envelope Secretary: MARGARET TIBBLES, 846 7682 (h); email@example.com
PASTORAL. If you know of anyone needing support, a listening ear, a phone call or a visit at home or in hospital,
please contact Pamela firstname.lastname@example.org